Sunday Stack :: Women in Translation Month

August 04, 2019

August is shaping up to be a very exciting month, bookishly speaking, and my reading wish list for the month is ENORMOUS - I really need to take a few weeks off to just read haha. The Canberra Writers Festival is coming up, and there's Children's Book Week and the CBCA Book of the Year awards and the book fair at school. On top of all of that, I'm also very excited about Women in Translation Month this year!

WIT Month is held every August to promote women writers from around the world who write in languages other than English, and was started by Meytal Radzinski. You can read more about it on Meytal's blog. Tonight I'm sharing a some books that I might read for WIT month (I mean, there's no way I can get through all the books I want to read this month, but it's still fun to make a stack!)
These were all on my shelves and my Scandi bias is totally showing!


An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good  - Helene Tursten (Sweden)
I actually bought this at Strand Books in NYC, and read it when we were on our holiday in the US - it is really fantastic. It is quick and fun and I totally recommend it.

Pippi Longstocking - Astrid Lindgren (Sweden)
I don't remember whether I have ever actually read any Pippi Longstocking, but I loved her on the screen, and I think this will be a fun one to share with my daughter.

Maresi - Maria Turtschaninoff (Finland)
This is the first book in a feminist fantasy YA series called The Red Abbey Chronicles - it was an impulse buy at the book store one day, and I've heard loads of good things since. Author Maria Turtschaniniff is a Swedish-speaking Finn, and I am pretty sure this was written in Swedish.

A Winter's Promise and The Missing of Clairdelune - Christelle Dabos (France)
I have had my eye on The Mirror Visitor series for AGES and WIT was the perfect excuse to finally pick them up! Again, I've heard so many good things!

Aaaargh they all sound so good - and I have a long list of other (not Swedish!) books I'd love to get my hands on too! But you know I always still love more recommendations - so hit me with your favourite WIT books, or your tbr if you're reading along with WIT month!

xo Bron

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love this so much! Also, I DEFINITELY need to get my hands on a copy of Pippi Longstocking! People always used to call me that as a kid because I wore my hair in pigtails/pigtail plaits and nothing else.
    This is such an awesome selection of books, Bron! 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thanks!
      It is such a lovely edition of Pippi Longstocking - I couldn't resist when I saw it in the book shop!

      Delete

Subscribe