Review :: Love, Simon :: Becky Albertalli

April 02, 2018

Another case of me having a book on my TBR FOREVER, and finally reading it so I can see the movie/tv adaptation - a friend gave me Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda (which has been retitled Love, Simon, to match the movie) I  think for my birthday in April last year (it could have been longer ago!). There has been so much buzz about the movie that I definitely wanted to see it, and when a friend had tickets to an advance screening on Sunday I jumped at the chance - and so I spent Saturday binge-reading the book =)

I think this book deserves every single bit of gushy praise I have seen it given everywhere. The writing is so readable and the story is super sweet. I thought the characters were very realistic (as opposed to the caricatures/super quirky characters we sometimes see in contemporary fiction - which can also be great, just different to this). I loved every single page of this.



The movie was super well done - I mean, I had literally JUST read the book (the previous day!) and it totally captured what I loved about the book. It was really cleverly done, in that even though I knew how the book ended I had no idea whether the movie was going to end the same way - and without getting spoiler-y, let's just say it isn't exactly the same! The casting was SO PERFECT - Simon was kind of Ferris Bueller charming, Martin was even more Martin-y than I had imagined him when I was reading and Jennifer Garner & Josh Duhamel were probably my favourite parents of teens in anything I have seen (ok except the dad in 10 Things I Hate About You - but that was for totally different reasons haha).

My favourite character in both the book and the movie was Leah, and I am so busting to get my hands on her book - Leah on the Offbeat - which I believe is coming out in April. I am actually keen to read everything Becky Albertalli writes - including The Upside of Unrequited (which came out last year and I bought this week) and she has a book coming out that she has co-authored with Adam Silvaris.

I gave this a big shiny 4.5 stars, and recommend getting out to see the movie too!

xo Bron

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe