Short stories

July 06, 2018

One of the areas of my reading life I'm trying to do better at this year is reading more short form works. I have a bunch of short story collections, and anthologies of short stories, poetry, etc, but for some reason I rarely reach for them when I'm picking out my next read, almost always grabbing the next novel on my pile instead. It's really weird, since (as you can see from the photo there) I have some really cool books that I'm really looking forward to reading,


So to try and get into the habit of reading some of these shorter works I'm planning to read one or two pieces each night from one of the collections on my tbr. I think I'll start with Meet Me at the Intersection, which is an Australian anthology of short fiction, memoir and poetry by authors who are First Nations, People of Colour, LGBTIQA+ or living with disability, and which made my list of the books I'm most excited about reading in the rest of 2018.

Some others I have ready to read soon are: 

Growing Up Aboriginal in Australia, an anthology compiled by Anita Heiss in which a range of contributors answer the question What is it like to grown up Aboriginal in Australia?
 
The Radical Element is a collection of stories about women and girls changing the world, writer by 12 popular YA authors.

I'll keep you posted on how I go with these, and in the meantime I'd love to know about other people's short story reading habits! Do you read a collection cover to cover like a novel? Or read a couple of pieces at a time in between other reads?

xo Bron

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe