Review :: Meet Me at the Intersection

September 12, 2018


One of my reading goals this year has been to read more diverse Australian literature, so when I first heard about Meet Me at the Intersection - a brand new collection of short pieces by diverse writers for YA readers - it went straight to the top of my list of most anticipated book for the year. I was very excited when Fremantle Press sent me an advance copy, and I've enjoyed reading it a few stories at a time over the past few weeks.

It is finally out, and I'm so happy to be able to share some of my thoughts on it with you!


First, here's what the Fremantle Press website has to say about it:

Meet Me at the Intersection is an anthology of short fiction, memoir and poetry by authors who are First Nations, People of Colour, LGBTIQA+ or living with disability. The focus of the anthology is on Australian life as seen through each author’s unique, and seldom heard, perspective.

With works by Ellen van Neerven, Graham Akhurst, Kyle Lynch, Ezekiel Kwaymullina, Olivia Muscat, Mimi Lee, Jessica Walton, Kelly Gardiner, Rafeif Ismail, Yvette Walker, Amra Pajalic, Melanie Rodriga, Omar Sakr, Wendy Chen, Jordi Kerr, Rebecca Lim, Michelle Aung Thin and Alice Pung, this anthology is designed to challenge the dominant, homogenous story of privilege and power that rarely admits ‘outsider’ voices.

I loved this book, and I know it is one I will go back to and reread. I'm not really sure how to approach talking about it - I don't think I've reviewed a collection of short stories etc before! - so I'm just going to tell you a few of my favourite things about it.

Firstly, I really enjoyed each and every piece in this collection. Everyone of them felt personal, like the writer was sharing a part of them with me, and I felt lucky to be given that insight into lives different than mine.

I loved that there was a variety of formats of writing in it, including poetry and short fiction and memoirs.

There are contributions from such a broad range of Australian voices, which was not only wonderful to read in this book, but it has introduced me to so many new and diverse writers whose work I'll be looking out for now (I want to read EVERYTHING each one of these writers have written!)

I also really enjoyed the little introduction to each writer at the front of their piece - I feel like hearing a bit about each of their stories was one of the things that helped make the writing feel so personal.

Overall I thought this was a fantastic collection that would be the perfect starting place for anyone who wants to increase the diversity of their reading (which should really be all of us!).

xo Bron

***Meet Me at the Intersection***
Out now from Fremantle Press
On Goodreads
Source: Thanks so much to Fremantle Press for sending me a free copy!
Genre: This one is a mix of fiction and non-fiction, memoir, poetry - all kinds of things! The collection is aimed at YA readers.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe