Review :: The Rift :: Rachael Craw

December 12, 2018

I knew when I heard the Walker books rep pitch Rachael Craw's newest novel, The Rift, at Teen Con in Sydney that I was going to love it so I was thrilled when Walker sent me a copy. I finally read it on book retreat - in a single sitting!


For generations, the Rangers of Black Water Island have guarded the Old Herd against horrors released by the Rift. Cal West, an apprentice Ranger with a rare scar and even rarer gifts, fights daily to prove he belongs within their ranks. After nine years away, Meg Archer returns to her childhood home only to find the Island is facing a new threat that not even the Rangers are prepared for. Meg and Cal can’t ignore their attraction, but can they face their darkest fears to save the Island from disaster?

I enjoyed the world building and mythology in this one - I thought it was quite enchanting - but I think my favourite thing about it was the mood. It was adventure-y, and dark, and I couldn't put my finger on quite what, but something about it really reminded me of Maggie Steifvater's The Scorpio Races - a book which I love. I have really been enjoying books that could almost be set in our real world but just have a little twist of fanstasy like this (besides The Rift and The Scorpio Races,  the Three Dark Crowns series also comes to mind).

I gave this one 3.5 stars, and was only sorry that I didn't get to spend more time with Meg and Cal!

xo Bron

*** The Rift ***
Out now from Walker Books
Source: Huge thanks to Walker Books for sending me a free copy for review!
Genre: Fantasy (YA)
Read it if you loved: moody books, Maggie Steifvater (especially The Scorpio Races and the Wolves of Falls series)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe