Kidlit :: Melody Trumpet :: Gabrielle Tozer

February 13, 2019

Gabrielle Tozer was one of the very first #loveozya authors I read as an adult (her novels The Intern and Faking It are so lovely!), AND we adore her picture book (Peas and Quiet) so when I saw she had a middle-grade title coming out I couldn't wait to get my hands on it (thanks to Harper Collins for sending me an early copy!).

As the daughter of global music superstars, Melody Trumpet was supposed to be extraordinary - a melodic genius to carry on the Trumpet legacy.
But, as was discovered when Melody screamed her first out-of-tune note as a baby, this wasn't to be.
Ten years on, Melody is still kept away from the world in Trumpet Manor.
If only secrets could stay hidden ..
For Melody Trumpet, it's about finding the extraordinary in ordinary!


I raced through this musical (and not!) adventure! The story is a lot of fun, and in places quite funny, and sometimes almost a bit ridiculous. I think this use of humour and the ridiculous provides a perfect safe space for Tozer to raise some serious issues for her readers in an age-appropriate way. Aside from Melody trying to find her place in a world where she is put under incredible pressure from her parents - who are really not very nice to her at all - she learns about loyalty and difference from a group of unlikely friends. I really liked that socioeconomic differences were highlighted in the book - Melody has grown up in a mansion with every material thing anyone could need, and when she goes out into the world she sees the difference and recognises that it isn't fair.

In case it isn't obvious, I really enjoyed this! I gave it 4 stars and I think it would be perfect for your favourite 8-12 year-old readers, especially if you know someone who needs a confidence boost - Melody would be a great literary friend for them!

xo Bron

***

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe