#loveozya :: The Change :: James Bradley

June 27, 2018

I put The Silent Invasion on my TBR after meeting James Bradley at last year's All Day YA, and bought it ages ago when I saw it on sale, but it's only recently that I finally got around to reading it. There were two main motivations - the second book in the series was released last month, and also this is sci-fi about climate change, which I think counts as being a book about nature for the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge. I dedicated a long weekend in May to reading a couple of books from my #loveOzYA TBR shelf, and The Silent Invasion was one of them

Like I mentioned above, this is sci-fi about climate change - sometimes referred to as "cli-fi".  The premise of the series doesn't seem that weird when you read it, but I am having a lot of trouble deciding how to describe it! The story takes place decades from now, and Earth is being taken over by some kind of spores that make nature go wild, and people and animals change and become part of a kind of bigger connected intelligence. It is kind of like a zombie plague meets Star Trek's Borg, with a little bit of Divergent (or something).


I have now also read the second book in the series - The Buried Ark. In both books our protagonist spends a lot of time on the road, either trying to get somewhere or trying to escape someone, and some of this felt a little bit long in parts. I also felt like the relationships between some of the characters were a bit weird at times (maybe a little bit 'insta-lovey' or something). Overall though, there is lots of adventure, good world building, and some creepy villains. I particularly liked the second book where we start to get into some government conspiracy stuff.

I feel like there is some really good #loveozya sci-fi around at the moment, and I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next with this series!

xo Bron

***The Change Series***
On Goodreads
Genre: Sci-fi/Cli-fi (YA)
Source: I bought both of these (I have seen them packaged together in a good deal this month)
Read Harder Challenge Prompts:
6. A book about nature
16. The first book in a new-to-you YA or middle grade series
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe