#kidlit :: Influential Childhood Books

August 08, 2018

This week I've started reading Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree series with my four-year-old and we are loving it so much! So I though this would be a good chance to catch up on a Bookish Bloggers Unite blog topic I missed a few weeks ago, when everyone shared some influential books from their childhood.


I absolutely adored Enid Blyton's books as a child - all the way from the stories about toys through the The Faraway Tree and The Wishing Chair, running away with Mr Galliano's Circus, the adventures and sleuthing of the Secret Seven and Famous Five, and, of course, terms and terms at Mallory Towers and St Claire's.

Inspired by these classic books I invented my own magical lands to visit at the top of the Faraway Tree, dreamed of teaching our family dog to spell, wished I had a name that could be shortened to a 'boy' name, and longed for boarding school and midnight feasts on condensed milk.


I have always looked forward to enjoying these stories all over again with my daughter, but I don't think I ever anticipated how much joy I would get from seeing her love them too. Every night  she asks for just one more chapter, and when we her home together today I heard her a few times whispering the 'wisha wisha wisha' of the trees in the Enchanted Wood - I seriously think my heart might explode!

I'm so excited for all the reading experiences we have ahead of us (including a super special one for both of us, since I have been saving Harry Potter so that we could both read it for the first time together!)

I'd love to hear about others' experiences of sharing some literary magic with kids! And also about favourite books from childhood! - leave a comment below!

xo Bron

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe