Review :: The Girl Who Saved Christmas :: Matt Haig

November 29, 2017

Tonight's Christmassy review is a three-for-one special deal =)  I liked the look of The Girl Who Saved Christmas when I saw it on NetGalley, and on reading I loved it so much I got the other two in the series from my local library as soon as I could!

When Amelia wants a wish to come true she knows just the man to ask - Father Christmas.

But the magic she wants to believe in is starting to fade, and Father Christmas has more than impossible wishes to worry about. Upset elves, reindeers dropping out of the sky, angry trolls and the chance that Christmas might be cancelled.

But Amelia isn't just any ordinary girl. And - as Father Christmas is going to find out - if Christmas is going to be saved, he might not be able to do it alone...



These books, all three, are adorable. They are funny and touching, with just the right amount of toilet humour (haha). And the wonderful illustrations are the perfect complement to the writing - they are just amazing!

I read these completely out of order - The Girl Who Saved Christmas (book 2) first, followed by Father Christmas and Me (book 3), and A Boy Called Christmas (book 1) last - and it didn't matter at all. The stories do build on each other, but each can also stand alone.

I'm not really sure what else to say about these except that I loved them. I'll be keeping an eye out for copies to buy for us to read over again, and would definitely recommend them for your middle grade aged readers, or your littlies that are happy to listen to an almost chapter book (there are some pictures but not every page - kind of like a Roald Dahl book. In fact, the writing reminded me a bit of Roald Dahl!). Also, I recommended these to a friend and she got the audio book of A Boy Called Christmas, which is read by Stephen Fry and she tells me is completely wonderful.

I gave each of these four stars, a stack of gold coins, and a generous sprinkle of Christmas magic =)

Xo Bron

The Girl Who Saved Christmas is out now from Random House Children's. I received review an e-book copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, but only chose to read it because it sounded like a book I would enjoy (life's too short to read books we don't think we'll enjoy). All opinions on my blog are my own, and I wouldn't tell you it a book was good if I didn't really think so. =)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe