Review :: Holly and Ivy :: Fern Michaels

December 06, 2017

I think I've mentioned here already how much I love a Christmas Hallmark movie, and tonight's Christmas book is one that I could absolutely see adapted for the small festive screen!





Here's the overview (from Goodreads)
The flames of memory always seem to glow a little brighter during the holidays. Perhaps that's why this time of year is so difficult for airline heiress Ivy Macintosh, as she faces thoughts of yet another festive season alone. Since the plane crash that claimed the lives of her husband and two children eight years ago, she's been submerged in grief.

When eleven-year-old Holly Greenwood knocks on her door, lost and frightened after a forbidden visit to her singing teacher, Ivy's self-imposed exile is shattered. Holly has an extraordinary voice, and wants nothing more than to perform in an upcoming Christmas musical. Holly's father, Daniel, doesn't allow music in their home, refusing to give a good reason why--just as he refuses to talk about Holly's mother. Ivy has no idea how closely she and Daniel are linked by their tragic pasts, yet she's drawn to the warmth she senses beneath his gruff exterior. And as Christmas nears, their shared concern for Holly begins to draw Ivy back into the world again . . . and toward a family who may need her just as much as she needs them...

As you can tell from the synopsis there, this was not all light hearted and fun - there were some super sad bits, and some pretty heavy feelings stuff too. Like I said above, it certainly had a Hallmark movie feel about it - two grieving adults brought together by common love for a child.

It took a while for me to get into the story, but once I did I really enjoyed it overall. There were,though, definitely sometimes where I had to look past what I really thought was some weird behaviour/actions from the characters - if you find it hard to let go of "someone would never say/do that!" and it's a deal breaker for you, then this one might be a bit tricky.

I gave Holly and Ivy three stars

Xo Bron

Holly and Ivy  is out now. I received review an e-book copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, but only chose to read it because it sounded like a book I would enjoy (life's too short to read books we don't think we'll enjoy). All opinions on my blog are my own, and I wouldn't tell you it a book was good if I didn't really think so. =)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe