Review :: Number the Stars :: Lois Lowry

May 11, 2017

Until recently I'm sure I had read very little fiction set in or around World War II. One of the tasks in the Read Harder Challenge this year is to read a book about war, and all of a sudden they are popping up all over my TBR list!

This was a birthday present, which S picked up because I have been talking about reading All the Light We Cannot See and The Book Thief.

  
Number the Stars is a middle grade books that tells the story of a young girl and her best friend (whose family are Jewish) living in Copenhagen during the Nazi occupation of Denmark.

This was a really sweet and heartbreaking book. The story is told from the point of view of the 10 year old protagonist, and the child perspective is perfectly written.

I think this does a fantastic job of introducing World War II in an age-appropriate way (as problematic as identifying books as 'age-appropriate' - but hopefully you know what I mean!), and gives an opening to discuss issues like discrimination with a child. I also think it would be a good place to start with a child who you weren't sure was ready for Anne Frank.

I gave this 5 out of 5 stars - I'd love to know what you thought if you have read it!

Bron xo

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. *adds yet another book to the never ending wish list*
    I'm glad you enjoyed this! I got The Giver for Mum a few years ago when the movie came out and she liked it. =D

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe