Book Stack :: September TBR

September 07, 2018

I had great plans this month to just choose 5 or books that I definitely wanted to read, and then spend the rest of the month reading whatever I felt like at the time. But suddenly my 5 must-reads became 10, and I couldn't decide how to narrow them down. So here are 12 books I'd like to read this month, with my goal being to get to at least 8 of them (a compromise which I feel like gives me some space for mood reading) =) 


The Path of the Lost  (by Melbourne author Beau Kondos) is my current read - it's YA fantasy and is giving me Ember in the Ashes vibes. I'm looking forward to chatting with Beau after I'm done and sharing a Q&A here on the blog!

anonymous premonition is a collection of poetry by Aboriginal writer Yvette Holt. I had the pleasure of hearing Yvette share some of her work and then meeting her at an event I attended at the Canberra Writers Festival last week. The poems she read to us were about women and motherhood and love, and really touched me. I'm planning to dip in and out of this one across the month.

It's hard to make out in the photo here, but that third little book from the top is called Secrets Hidden Below,  and is the first book in a new middle grade adventure series called The Adamson Adventures by Sandra Bennet. This is one of the first books to be published by the new Canberra based Elephant Tree Publishing, and I'll be posting my thoughts on it over on the Living Arts Canberra Website.

The Girl who Fell by Violet Grace is also the first book in a new series - this time YA fantasy. The people at Nero books kindly sent me this one, which came out last week, and I'm going to start as soon as I finish my current read. I've heard good things about it so far, so I'm excited about it! 

I don't know very much about Sydney Noir but it looks like a great - maybe a bit creepy - read! Thanks to Brio Books for sending me this one.

Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit has been on my shelf for AGES - a sweet friend gave it to me last year! Now that we've booked a holiday including a weekend in Atlanta I'm keen to actually read it!

Another author I saw at the CWF event I mentioned above was Melissa Lucashenko. I picked up her latest novel, Too Much Lip, on the day. I also have one of her previous books, Mullumbimby, but haven't read either yet.

The Right Place by Carla Caruso is one of those novels that intertwines a story set in Australia now with one in another time and place (in this case, 1950s Italy). Thanks Harlequin Books for sending my this one!

Another tiny book - this one is Kate Forsyth's Vasilisa the Wise,  which is coming on a road trip with me tomorrow to the Heroines Literary Festival!

My friend Claire very kindly loaned me her advance copy of Kate Morton's brand new novel The Clockmaker's Daughter (it comes out next week from Allen and Unwin) - I'm partway in to this one, and really want to finish so I can give it back!

I posted a little while ago about short story collections, and The Radical Element is next on my list - I'm aiming for a story at a time a few nights a week. Thanks so much to Walker Books or sending my this one!

And finally a bit more holiday reading - I happened to see a post about southern literature on Instagram just as I was on my way into the library on Monday, and a quick check of the shelves for books by the same authors turned up Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter by Lisa Patton. I love that this covers the south AND the New England, since we'll spend time in each too.

So those are my books to read from in September! What is everyone else reading this month?  Have you read any of these?

xo Bron

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe