Christmassy :: Dashing Through the Snow :: Debbie Macomber/Hallmark

December 06, 2019

Ok, we all know I love Christmassy romcoms in both novel and film form, so I thought it might be fun to read and watch some book and movie pairs. My local library just happened to have both the original novel and the DVD of Hallmark's movie adaptation of Debbie Macomber's Dashing Through the Snow.



Obviously I read the book first. It is a relatively short novel, so I got through it in a single day. Honestly, I thought this was quite delightful! There are lots of things about it that are completely ridiculous, but in a fun way. I don't even know where to start with the plot, so here's what the Goodreads page says:


Ashley Davison, a graduate student in California, desperately wants to spend the holidays with her family in Seattle. Dashiell Sutherland, a former army intelligence officer, has a job interview in Seattle and must arrive by December 23. Though frantic to book a last-minute flight out of San Francisco, both are out of luck: Every flight is full, and there’s only one rental car available. Ashley and Dash reluctantly decide to share the car, but neither anticipates the wild ride ahead.

At first they drive in silence, but forced into close quarters Ashley and Dash can’t help but open up. Not only do they find they have a lot in common, but there’s even a spark of romance in the air. Their feelings catch them off guard—never before has either been so excited about a first meeting. But the two are in for more twists and turns along the way as they rescue a lost puppy, run into petty thieves, and even get caught up in a case of mistaken identity. Though Ashley and Dash may never reach Seattle in time for Christmas, the season is still full of surprises—and their greatest wishes may yet come true.


Look, I don't even know what it was about this book that made me like it so much. It was sweet and funny, and had kind of a different twist to what you usually see in a cosy Christmas romance. It is quite a romp, and I just found myself smiling as I read it. Also, as an aside, the actual physical book itself is quite lovely - it is a little hardcover, with a very pretty picture on the front.

Onto the film then! I don't recall really having done a book and Hallmark movie comparison before, although I think there are one or two I have both read and watched, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

Here's the summary of the movie, from the Hallmark website:

Based on a novel by Debbie Macomber, this yuletide movie tells the story of Ashley Harrison (Meghan Ory) and Dash Sutherland (Andrew Walker). She is a crafter based in San Francisco who is desperate to spend the holidays with her family in Seattle and Dash is also in a rush to get there. When Ashley inexplicably encounters a problem with her reservation at the airport ticket counter, she turns to Plan B and attempts to rent a car. But there’s just one vehicle left and Dash beats her to it. Reluctantly, Ashley takes him up on his offer to join him on the road trip. As the pair heads north, their adventures include car trouble, adopting a puppy and being secretly tailed by federal agents, who believe Ashley is up to no good. With a hint of romance gradually filling the air will these two fall in love or will their journey bring about an unexpected road bump to romance?

This movie had a few things going for it right from the start:
  - Andrew Walker is one of my favourite Hallmark actors
  - Meghan Ory plays one of the leads in Hallmark's tv series Chesapeake Shores, which I love.
  - There is knitting
  - And puppies

I actually kind of adored the film almost as much as the book! I thought that a few of the more unusual parts of the plot were less well dealt with in the film than the book, but I also loved that they were different enough that both were completely enjoyable - having read the book didn't take away from the movie at all. The movie was also very pretty - there were some lovely tree shots (like in the background of the promotional picture) and gorgeous decorations. I'd recommend either or both of these to anyone looking for a fun silly Christmassy romp (with puppies!)

xo Bron

***
Dashing Through the Snow by Debbie Macomber
Published 2015 by Ballantine Books
Source: I was lucky enough to find both the book and movie at my local library (if you're in Canberra get on it!)
Format: Hardcover, 256 pages

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. What a fun idea! Also this post took me back to the early 2000's when I had discovered the Blossom Street Series and started reading it because it took place in a knit shop and had knitting in it and I was in a consume anything about knitting phase, because knitting was in suddenly and my nana craft I had done for years was suddenly cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that! I'm a huge knitting fan too, and was so excited to see it mainstream all of a sudden!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love the dot points of why the movie was also good. Knitting and puppies? A+ every single time!
    I do adore Meghan Ory, too. I think I'll be adding this movie to my watch list.
    And I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I love a book that makes me smile while reading it!
    💜

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe