#loveozya :: Summer reading stack :: Contemporary reads

December 16, 2019

With less than 10 days until Christmas, I'm not sure whether we're still in gift guide territory, or whether we should be moving on to Summer reading recs, but I feel like these books are perfect for both. Tara Eglington's new #loveozya novel The Long Distance Playlist was released today, and it got me thinking about other Aussie contemporary YA books I've either read and LOVED or am looking forward to reading. I think any of these would be perfect for reading on the beach or next to the pool this summer!


The Long Distance Playlist by Tara Eglington
I have been so looking forward to this one coming out, and it is perfect timing for your last minute Christmas shopping! I think I'll be starting this one tomorrow.

Night Swimming by Steph Bowe
This is the only other book in my stack that I haven't read yet, and I think it's the swimming part that is giving me summer vibes? In any case, I have heard only good things about this so I'm looking forward to it.

What I Like About Me by Jenna Guillaume
This was one of my favourite books of last summer. It is set at the beach in the summer time, and it just felt so Australian without being cringey. It is body positive, and diverse, and I loved it. Check out my review here.

Untidy Towns by Kate O'Donnell
Untidy Towns is a book that I recommend all the time to people who think that they don't like young adult books. It is beautifully written and authentic and just lovely. I've got it on this list because even though it isn't necessarily set at summer (from memory) it deals with that transition out of school into the world, which gives it a kind of summer feeling to me. I have reviewed this one here.

If I Tell You by Alicia Tuckerman
Another story with a rural setting that I just loved for its authenticity. This one is about two girls who fall in love, in a small town where girls dating girls isn't really accepted. I can't remember if it is also set in the school holidays, but it gave me lounging by the local swimming pool feelings. My review of this one is here.

The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl - by Melissa Keil
This book is just an absolute delight. It is set around Christmas - I loved reading about a summer Christmas for a change - and focuses on a group of friends who have just finished high school, and are facing the changes that come with that.

I'd love to know if you've got any contemporary YA your summer reading list, and also if I've missed any excellent Christmas/summer #loveozya from mine!

xo Bron

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I own half of those, and surprisingly, I've read them, too!
    I highly recommend Night Swimming, it's just so soft and lovely.
    The Long Distance Playlist is on its way to me, and I can't wait to see your name in the acknowledgements, Bron!
    💜

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe