Christmassy :: Q&A with Lucy Marrett

December 18, 2018


Yesterday I posted my review of Lucy Marrett's debut novel, The Way I See It. Lucy was kind enough to agree to talk to me about writing and books and Christmas - check out her answers to my Christmassy Q&A below =)

  
Your debut novel The Way I See It was released in 2018 (exciting!) Can you please tell us a little bit about the book, and what inspired you to write it?
The book is about a young woman coming to terms with and learning to deal with her anxiety while trying to underlay the idea of hope. I was inspired by my own anxiety which I suffered from since childhood, to varying degrees. Over the years I've noted that no everyone understands what it is to have anxiety, or to live with it on a daily basis and so I wanted to write something that would show what it is like from a personal perspective.

Do you like to read seasonal books, and do you have a favourite Christmas story or book?
I tend to just read whatever is next on my list, and the only Christmas story I like to read is the story of Jesus' birth, reason for the season!

Is there a particular book you'd love to find under your Christmas tree this year?
I only recently realised how much I'd love a full collection of Agatha Christie novels. That would be an incredible gift!

Do you have a book you've read this year that you'll be recommending (or giving as a Christmas present!) to everyone you know?
I recently gave Burial Rites by Hannah Kent as a gift, which is one of my all time favourites, but I've also recommended Exit West by Mohsin Hamid. I think there are so many books that are such a specific taste, I'd rather think of different books to give each person based on what they like J

Can you share a favourite Christmas tradition or memory?
On Christmas morning my husband and I make pancakes and we try and draw pictures with the mixture. It always results in fun, mess and lots of unrecognisable shapes and pictures. I also like to wrap all the gifts in the same wrapping paper, and I choose a new paper each year.

Can you tell us a bit about what you are working on next?
I'm always working on something, and it’s always multiple things at once. I've got some historical fiction and some more young adult, as well as a crime fiction novel or two. I tend to just write until something sticks and then run with it. I wish it was just matter of one new idea and a new novel to follow, but it doesn’t seem to be that easy for me! 

 ***
Massive thanks to Lucy for taking the time to share her answers to my Christmassy questions!
Lucy's debut novel The Way I See It is out now from Elephant Tree Publishing.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe