Review :: The Way I See It :: Lucy Marrett

December 17, 2018

The Way I See It is the debut novel from Sydney writer Lucy Marrett, and is a compelling story about a young woman living with anxiety.



Holly has something on her mind, but it’s not something she wants to admit to. It’s only after the funeral of a high school friend that she begins to realise she might have to speak up. It’s the reason she tears her hair out, the reason she picks at her skin, and the reason she sometimes has trouble breathing.

She has two friends on her side, Lara a friend from university who she lives with and Jem, a high school friend who she couldn’t live without. Jem is her rock and the one person in the world she trusts most, while Lara is everything Holly wishes she could be herself.

But time feels like it’s running out for Holly, and she’s not sure how much longer she can live the way she is. It’s time for her to stand up and speak out.

The Way I See It is is not a self-help book, nor is it full of inspirational quotes or success stories. It is a realistic portrayal of the ongoing, daily battle a young woman has with her anxiety, and how she decides to deal with it.


To be honest, I wasn't sure how I would go with The Way I See It - I think I've talked before about how I can have some trouble with books that put me inside the minds of young women who spend a lot of their time worrying about how other see them and putting themselves down. This was definitely not the case with The Way I See It! I found this a compelling, honest, and well written look inside the life (and thoughts) of a young woman living with anxiety. I really felt like I got to know - and become friends with - main character Holly.

Fellow Book Riot Read Harder Challenge participants might be interested to know that The Way I See It would count for at least two categories from the 2019 challenge (which was released last week - check it out here):
8. An #ownvoices book set in Oceania
9. A book published prior to January 1, 2019, with fewer than 100 reviews on Goodreads
(I also think Lucy might be a journalist, in which case 5. A book by a journalist or about journalism would also work)

I gave this 3.5 stars, and I think it is essential reading for anyone who wants to learn more about what it's like to live with anxiety.

xo Bron


***The Way I See It***

Huge thanks to Elephant Tree Publishing for sending me a free copy for review. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe